2023 Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted
Wednesday, April 5, 7 pm
Elmhurst Public Library
Community Activism—What Can You Do?
Ms. Erendira Loza (Eren) is originally from Mexico City where she earned a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations from the National University of Mexico. She has been in the Bensenville area since 2009 and obtained her U.S. citizenship in 2019. In the fall of 2022, she was given the LatinX Community Award by Wintrust Community Bank.
Eren will discuss the formation of the Elmhurst Resource Collaboration (ERC) and its current mission. She will also discuss the recent launch of the Bensenville area nonprofit “Roots and Wings// Alas y Raices.” This group’s mission is to “Embrace the human dignity of all community members through services and programs that support immigrants’ integration, connect community members, and celebrate the plurality of cultures.”
The program will be followed by the annual business. We will be voting on the slate of officers listed in the March Newsletter as well as making other important announcements.
Guests are welcome. Attend in person or access us on Zoom. Instructions follow:
- Computer/Mobile Device: http://elmlib.org/videochat
- From this page, click on the link for “Virtual Meeting Rooms” or “Information Desk Video Chat”
- If clicking one of those links does not automatically open the meeting, attendees can join by starting Zoom and entering the Meeting Number and Password shown below.
- Phone(in Chicago): (312) 626-6799
- Meeting Number: 929 5003 7460#
- Participant ID: # (just push #)
- Password: 534043#
- Once in the meeting, phone callers have the following controls:
- press *6 to mute/unmute themselves
- Press *9 raise their hand when muted
All attendees will be greeted upon arrival by an EPL staff member who will admit them to the virtual meeting room for your group. Each attendee will need to let the staff member know the group name ( AAUW ) or your name ( Susan Boyd ) as the person who registered.
Book Discussion Group
Thursday, March 23, 1 pm
When the Apricots Bloom by Gina Wilkinson
Discussion Leader: Carol Rounds
Hostess: Carol Rounds
Half the Sky
Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 7 pm
Gathering Room, Elmhurst Public Library
Discussion topic for this meeting is the women of Afghanistan. The group will watch a video of SOLA, the School of Leadership Afghanistan, which was recently featured on 60 Minutes, and will share information from articles brought to the meeting.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Raising Awareness for Diversity and Inclusion
April 20, 2023, at 7 pm. Via Zoom
Learn how to be an ally from an expert on diversity in educational settings. Discover how “allyship” skills prepare individuals to create diverse, inclusive, and flexible nonprofit organizations. Elizabeth Neill, leader of this study group, developed this event. The Naperville Branch, the Downers Grove Branch, and the Jane Addams Statewide Branch, which is providing the Zoom link, are cosponsoring this program.
You are invited to a Zoom meeting with diversity advocate, Deanie Brown. Click here to register for this meeting.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. For questions about registration, contact Kate Skegg, Zoom registrar.
AAUW Elmhurst Area Branch Strategic Plan
- Mission: To advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy
- Vision: Equity for all
- Values: Nonpartison, fact-based, integrity, inclusion, and intersectionality
- Specific Areas of Focus: Education and training, economic security, leadership, governance, and sustainability
- Work Smart Workshop: Training to successfully advocate for yourself and help close the pay gap for women everywhere
The Elmhurst Area Branch is a 501(c)(3) Not for Profit affiliate of The American Association of University Women. Donations are tax deductible as charitable contributions.